Family Law Specialists

Fathers’ Rights or ‘Parental Rights and Responsibilities’

Some fathers have parental responsibility and with that, certain rights to be kept updated about your children’s well being and progress.

Parental responsibility covers such things as:-

  • Naming the child and agreeing to any change of name.
  • Choosing and providing for the child’s education.
  • Agreeing to the child’s medical treatment.
  • Disciplining the child.
  • Looking after the child’s property.

The Father will usually have parental responsibility if he is:-

  1. Listed on the birth certificate (after a certain date)
  2. Married to the child’s mother

However, an unmarried father can only obtain parental responsibility in one of three ways:-

  1. jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother (from 1.12.03)
  2. getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother
  3. getting a parental responsibility from the Court

We can provide more information and assistance with Parental Responsibility Agreements or a Court Order.

For further advice on Fathers’ Rights and child custody matters, or to discuss your case, please contact Angela Brown through the online enquiry form or telephone 01564 777250

Initial Consultation

We offer new Clients a special introductory 1-hour consultation for just £95 + VAT.  This appraisal appointment is a “get to know you” meeting, at which you can decide if you want us to represent you. We will be able to obtain from you details of your objective and explain how we can achieve this.

We operate across the West Midlands

We work with clients all across the West Midlands seeking professional guidance in divorce and family law matters:

If you would like to discuss your legal matters or concerns with us:

Leading divorce solicitor in the West Midlands