Family Law Specialists

Grandparents’ Rights

Unfortunately, grandparents do not have an automatic right to have contact with their grandchildren. However, it is important that following separation or divorce, events do not interfere with the relationship between the children of a marriage and their grandparents.

Whilst grandparents’ rights are currently limited, they do exist and they can apply to the Court for permission for what is known as a Contact Order.

We have assisted grandparents in the past and we are only too aware of the deep bond that exists between grandparents and their grandchildren. We frequently advise that an application to the Court should be used only as a last resort and we always use our best endeavours to try and negotiate a contact arrangement.

On those occasions when it is necessary to apply for a Contact Order, we explain that the Court must consider the child’s best interests and, if either parent raises objections to you having contact, then it is more likely than not that failing a negotiated agreement by us, you would have to attend a full hearing at Court and at which the parties can put forward their evidence.

A Contact Order can stipulate the arrangements with regard to visitation in addition to contact through letters, video, telephone calls, texts and emails.

For further advice on Grandparents’ Rights, or to discuss your case, please contact Angela Brown through the online enquiry form or telephone 01564 777250

Initial Consultation

We offer new Clients a special introductory 1-hour consultation for just £95 + VAT.  This appraisal appointment is a “get to know you” meeting, at which you can decide if you want us to represent you. We will be able to obtain from you details of your objective and explain how we can achieve this.

We operate across the West Midlands

We work with clients all across the West Midlands seeking professional guidance in divorce and family law matters:

If you would like to discuss your legal matters or concerns with us:

Leading divorce solicitor in the West Midlands